Monday, June 2, 2008

Funny Movie Reviews

Our middle son gave me this little strawberry candle in its adorable little red crock, for Mother's Day.
He's the son we call "Blockbuster" because he knows all the good movies. He gave me "Madagascar" for Mother's Day, which is a hilarious movie. Here are some mini-reviews of some of the movies he's given me, plus a couple more that I found absolutely hilarious, just in case you missed them. The first 3 are animated.

"Madagascar" is about zoo animals that escape to the wild. If you pay attention, you'll catch sly nods to a lot of different movies sprinkled throughout. The penguins and the lemur king are highlights.

"The Emporer's New Groove" is about a bratty emporer who is turned in to a llama. It kind of made me think of "Rocky and Bullwinkle" in the way it appeals to kids and adults and is clever. The character of Kronk is a definite highlight.

"Flushed Away" is about a rich, up-town mouse who gets flushed down his toilet ("Poor little Roddy, flushed down his own potty"). It is hysterical! Lots of sight gags. The scene where the mouse has fun with the little girl's toys is a highlight, but the french frogs and the mime with the cell phone steal the show.

"Johnny English" is about a James Bond Wanna-Be played by Rowan Atkinson (of Mr. Bean fame). If you don't mind lots of jokes about bottoms, you'll probably laugh yourself silly. A little like the old Pink Panther movies with Peter Sellers.

"The Importance of Being Ernest" is based on Oscar Wilde's play. This version was made in 2002 and stars Reese Witherspoon, Rupert Everett, Colin Firth (Mr. Darcy!!!), Judi Dench, and others. It isn't as funny as the other movies, but it is fun. There is one picture of a naked lady in an old book, and there is a young lady who gets a tattoo on her bottom. It's just a light romantic comedy/farce.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooh I like that Colin Firth. And I loved Flushed Away. And Madagascar. My sister and My daughters re-enact the "I like to Move It Move It" video whenever they're together. I'm not sure who enjoys it more!

Anonymous said...

Your first and last are brilliant.
My daughter and I cuddled up on the sofa on Sunday (Don't tell her I told you that! She's 12 and has a reputation as a hell raiser to upkeep!)to watch Bee Movie! It was great and one you should add to your list when you get time. There is a Madagascar 2 out soon...
Ooooh and I can't wait to see Kung Fu Panda!
I think you realise that I have a mental age of about ten when it comes to movies... :o)
Love the candle holder.

Philigry said...

we loved madagascar too! and Bee movie that is mentioned in another comment!

Sal said...

What a fun Mother's Day!
I love the strawberry candle!
Sal;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't wait for Kung Fu Panda either!!!!

PS: I LOVE All the red pictures!

Anonymous said...

Dishy - I quite like the thought of Jack Black in a panda suit... defo does something for me. How very worrying. That's like the time I had a crush on Mickey Rooney...
:o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails