Thursday, February 7, 2008

You Don't Have to Lose 100 Lbs. - Part III

The thing that amazed me the most was how much I was able to eat! The foods I ate were far more satisfying than I had been eating previously, and then I either didn't miss the treats, or really savored smaller amounts. Whereas before, I might eat a candy bar, and then not be hungry for a proper lunch, then eat 2 or 3 helpings at dinner of casserole or whatever, and not be hungry for veggies, now I was enjoying a large, satisfying meal and not wanting dessert, or having 1/2 a candy bar once a week. I also discovered small but satisfying treats. I realized that when I ate one little chocolate chip cookie, which was 2 carbs and about a zillion calories, I was really only eating it for the chocolate. So for me it is much smarter to just have a handful of chocolate chips themselves. Thirty-three is one serving, about 60 calories and only 1 carb. If I eat them slowly, I really get that chocolate that I crave without much harm. And for me, semi-sweet gives me what I need without making me want more, whereas I cannot stay away from milk chocolate. I also discovered that when I just plain have the munchies, it doesn't have to be potato chips that I eat. It's too easy to eat a whole bunch before I come to my senses. If I eat the little, tiny carrots instead, I can eat as many as I want, and when I am ready to stop, I haven't really done any harm. I was surprised to realize how often I ate because I was thirsty, too, so I learned to drink a glass of water if I was hungry when I didn't need to eat. It also helped to chew gum after eating a proper meal, as a signal that the meal was over and it was time to stop eating for awhile. My sister, on the other hand, tends to nibble while she's cooking, so that's when gum helps her.

There are many tips and tricks that work for different people, but the bottom line is finding what works for you. Actually, this is getting sensible. We were tricking ourselves before when we had an unhealthy relationship with food. Food is fuel for our bodies. It isn't companionship, entertainment, comfort, recreation or most of the other things we use it for. Many times we should be taking a walk, or a nap, making a phone call or reading a book, praying, and even fasting instead of eating. When we do eat, we can take pleasure in choosing from a wide variety of healthy, tasty nourishment that fuels our other activities. It's time to find new ways of being well-rounded!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails