Monday, September 28, 2009

Five Words, Five Insights


The lovely Beverly at Dancing With the Daffodils shared a meme where she had gotten five words from someone else, then wrote what they made her think of, thereby revealing something of herself to us. She invited me to play, and sent me my five words. I have expounded on them below. Enjoy! (And if this is something you'd like to try, let me know and I'll come up with five words for you to write about!)

Moment - It has been my experience that life can change in a moment. When things are good, I savor them thoroughly, because I know they might change. When things are bad, I don't despair because I know they will not stay bad.

I have also been learning to live in the moment. I have struggled in the past with thinking of all the things I should be doing with the result that no matter what I was doing at the time, I thought I should be doing something else. I never felt accomplished or satisfied because there was so much more to do. My husband has worked hard at teaching me to enjoy the process. When I am working on something, I am trying to give myself permission to concentrate on it, focus so that I can do a good job, enjoy the process and take a moment or two to bask in the satisfaction of a job done well. I get at least as much done as I did before, and probably more because it takes a lot of time to stress and worry!

The best moment is still to come! "Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. (1 Corinthians 15:51, 52)

Finish - When I am finished with my life, I want my Savior to be able to say "Well done, good and faithful servant." I have a problem with finishing things, though. I'm much better at beginning. I begin a story, a diet, an exercise program, a garden - but too often I'm on to the next beginning, before I finish the preceding one. I guess learning to live in the moment will help with that.

Sound - I have discovered that I am very sensitive to sound. People's voices either soothe or grate. I don't make judgments about people because of their appearance. But I've been known to do it because of their voices. My boys used to complain because my ears are so sensitive they felt like they got in trouble just for talking. I felt like they were re-enacting WWII in my living room. Luckily that's what they make "outside," where boys should be, for! (Having said that, though, I really love the sound of my sons' voices). My ears physically hurt if sound is too loud. I speak very softly. I get in trouble all the time because people can't hear me. When I try to talk loudly, or I get mad and yell, it hurts my throat. My favorite sound is my husband's voice.

Carry - I loved carrying my babies. I mean after they were born, carrying them in my arms. I didn't want to use a baby carrier. I wanted to be the baby carrier. I did use a snugglie so they'd be right there even when I needed to be hands-free. When I had two babies a year apart, I would carry one on each hip to balance them out, or one on my back and one on my front. I loved the feel of them, little living bean bags, warm, fragrant, cuddly bundles of love.

Fact - I am not an overly emotional person. Not most of the time anyway. I'm pretty pragmatic and just kind of deal with what is, rather than moaning about how I wish it was. There are blessings to be found in just about everything, if I look for them. So I like facts. That's why I'm a Christian. When I look at the facts they all point to the word of God being True, just like Jesus says it is. Truth and fact are not exactly the same thing, but something can't be true and not be a fact. Now granted sometimes it doesn't seem that way. It can be a very hard truth, counter-intuitive or hard to understand. People say that's where faith comes in and they are right, but not for the reasons a lot of people think. It isn't that you have to have faith because something isn't true, but because it is and you can't see it. It is pointless to have faith in something that isn't true, and that's a fact! "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Evidence, not just wishes. I have studied the Bible all my life and I've verified enough of it as fact that I can confidently have faith that the parts I don't understand are true.

10 comments:

Jewels said...

Those are great words!

I found a comment from you from a while back, something about cappacino's and airports and comings and goings. Just came to say thanks! And to read your lovely writing.

Connie said...

I quite enjoyed this...I think I would enjoy participating myself...so send em sister :)

Cherdecor said...

I enjoyed reading this and getting to know you a little better. I might like to play along too.

Zuzana said...

This was truly a beautiful read. There is so much wisdom here; I will have to return here to read it again. I sure could learn a bit from your "Fact", as I am exactly the opposite; overly sensitive and emotional.
I loved the way you described the word "Moment", as that is my sentiment exactly.;)
xo

Beverlydru said...

You did a wonderful post- very interesting and well-written. I love your description of your babies - 2 bean bags! And thank you for the lovely introduction. : )

rhymeswithplague said...

I don't go for memes much, but this one could prove verrry interesting. Count me in!

steviewren said...

Love the line, "I loved the feel of them, little living bean bags, warm, fragrant, cuddly bundles of love." I loved cuddling my babies, but they weighted so much carrying them broke my back.

nikkipolani said...

What a fantastic post, Tracie. So many interesting insights into your thinking. I've heard about people who are extra sensitive in their hearing -- loud movies, loud commercials, loud voices... I guess you are one of them. And your #5 is wonderful. You are so right: what is the point of having faith in something that isn't true?

Susan said...

I loved this as well! I would read something I liked, and then as I kept reading I just kept liking more and more things ... yes, I think we would have lots in common and have some great meetings of the mind - I wish we lived closer, but the internet is great as well :) I loved the story of your cuckoo clock - they ARE lovely!
BTW - the writing thing I talked about on my site was not AC but something through Internet Brands.

Kathleen said...

Funny how much you can learn about a person from just a few words. I think the one I liked best was "finish". What a worthy goal!

It also makes me think of Jesus words on the cross: "It is finished!" Just the sound of it takes my breath away, so powerful was His proclamation!

Blessings,
Kathleen

Related Posts with Thumbnails