Monday, October 26, 2009

Favorite Costumes From My Childhood

Ruth thought it would be fun to do a meme on favorite costumes from our childhood, and I decided she was right - it would be fun! Plus, I found pictures! I was a strange kid...



In this first one, I was five. I am the Frankenstein on the right, wearing my dad's pants. I guess my sister is Morticia. We used to go to the rich neighborhoods for candy and we could fill two big bags! Although I have no idea how she could walk very far in Mom's high heels.


Here I am eight and wanted to do my own costume. I wore my step dad's bathrobe, an old wig I liked to play with, and my sister used some sort of makeup pencil to draw a villain's face. Then I practiced making scary faces. I actually won "Ugliest" in a costume contest. I was so proud!


I am ten in this picture with my siblings. I don't know what my brother was, besides cute, and my sister looked adorable as a cat. I chose to be a bookworm. That's right, a bookworm. I have a box around my middle made to look like a book. I have no idea what the black material is, and the "cap" was my mother's tube top! I pretty much gave up on costumes after this one. Until my kids came along!

14 comments:

Connie said...

A bookworm...that is hilarious!!!!!!! and imaginative.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I love the bookworm costume. I'm so glad you found pictures.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Cute costumes...!

Re EG books, you might still find some in the libraries; now and then at thrift stores but they are getting rarer. I get most of mine online. Some have been republished in recent years too; those might be in the libraries. Don't be confused with the other Goudge (Elaine I think) who is a modern day writer.

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS! Seriously, I am loving these Halloween costume posts. "I was a strange kid..." LOL -- not strange - Creative & CLEVER!

Cherdecor said...

You were a creative child. I liked all your costumes but I liked the bookworm the best. It just fits you. hahahahaha!

steviewren said...

You're making me nostalgic for the good ole days when costumes were gathered together from mom and dad's closet and lots of imagination went into their creation. You and your siblings get 2 thumbs up for creativity!

ToyLady said...

You know, the only costume I remember wearing was my last year trick-or-treating - I was a gypsy, dressed up in one of my mother's skirts, and loads and loads of my grandmother's costume jewelry and, of course, a bandana over my hair!

I've always hated the "run to the supermarket and grab a cheesy costume with a plastic mask" costumes so many of the kids wear now - the whole point should be to use your imagination! (Like, you know, being a bookworm!)

Anonymous said...

Yep. That "ugliest" one really does make me laugh as much the second time round. It's your facial expression -- So funny!

Merle said...

Dear Tracie ~~ I loved all your dress
up pictures. We don't do Halloween in Australia, so that saves us a lot of work and worry. I liked your
"ugliest" best. I find it all a bit scary.
I had a great weekend with Kathy and her family and posted some pics.
I hope you have a wonderful time with your son and daughter-in-law.
I expect my son and d-i-l next weekend. Take care, Love, Merle.

Susan said...

Loved these! And I love that you still have the photos. I'm like you - I'm just not real "into" the whole Halloween costume thing. My girls still aren't sure what they'll be ... I'm sure they'll come up with something!

Anonymous said...

What fun! I have very few pictures of myself as a child and none of me in a Halloween costrume. These are very cool! I hope you have a great time with your son and daughter-in-law ♥

Islandsparrow said...

Those are the very kind of costumes we made. Nothing bought except the occasional mask. We had a trunk of dress-up clothes and every year we had so much fun planning what we would wear. Dressing up was more fun than getting all that candy.

Zuzana said...

Ah, this was great fun! What a wonderful set of old pictures.
You know, you look so much like my little sister in the middle (second) picture, when she was that age. The resemblance is almost uncanny.;)
Have a happy Halloween!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a wonderful halloween!! Whether you went trick-or-treating, to church party, or not, I know in your mind (at the very least) you were dressed as something maahhhvelous. PS: NEW POST NEW POST NEW POST!!!

xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails