Thursday, January 8, 2009

Blogaversary

One year ago today I began this blog. I had been talking about starting one; talking but never doing. Finally my husband sat me down in front of the computer and said it was time. We both felt it would be a good bridge to more disciplined writing habits. Even though I'd been thinking about doing it, I'd never really thought out the details, but it was crunch time. I decided to name it All About Whatever so I wouldn't be locked in to one subject. The next day I discovered my header verse, one I had always liked, but now the 'whatever's' jumped out at me. When my husband asked me what my screen name would be, for some reason a conversation with my son about a rose bush came to mind. I have a McCartney rosebush that has large, fragrant and prolific pink blooms. If I had known this particular rosebush had ambitions to take over the world, I would not have planted it so close to the walk and the porch, but I had no idea it would get so big. It is at least 8 feet tall as well as wide. I nicknamed it "Rosezilla" and my son joked that he kept Round-Up in his room in case it snuck in to murder us all in our beds some night! I had a perfect picture of a double bloom from it that I chose for the Profile picture, and I decided to use the psuedonym Rosezilla for my blog, with the whimsical idea in the back of my mind that it would be as if the rosebush had it's own blog. I didn't really think anyone would be reading anyway. I had no idea I would meet so many lovely people, so many new friends all over the world who honor me by taking the time to read what I am writing, and who write such interesting things of their own. Following is one of my earliest entries, written in January of last year. But it's just as true this January!

Winter in Florida
.

The sun is shining down like a benediction from a flawless sky, sapphire-blue and cloudless. A variety of small birds sing their hearts out from sheer happiness. Several larger birds ride the wind currents, strong and powerful daredevils breathtaking in their freedom. Squirrels are clowning around on the power lines like tiny performers in a circus highwire act. Butterflies flutter by, weaving among the roses in tantalizing flashes of orange and yellow. The roses lift their faces to the sun, perfect buds in pink, red, white or yellow slowly opening, gently releasing their soft perfume into the beauty of the day. It is winter in Florida once again.

17 comments:

Islandsparrow said...

Congratulations and Happy Blog Anniversary!!

Your roses are beautiful.

Louise said...

Happy Blogaversary! I am so glad I started a blog, I would like to develop on my writing skills, to maybe become more creative with words. I would so miss all the lovely friends I have met too, and even after being absent for a while, they are always there to welcome you back, just like you. I did wonder where Rosezilla came from, and now I know, from the rambling rose! I hope you enjoy the next year of blogging, I hope to have more time to pop by soon. x

Shimmy Mom said...

Happy Blog-aversary!!!!
I too am amazed at how many people and places my blog has taken me to over the past year. I glad that one of the places it's taken me is here. I love to read your stories.
And thanks for you concern about my son. It truly means a lot.
*hugs*

Sparky said...

Well, all your followers are certainly thrilled that you are on-line now. Thank your husband for us 'cause we love your posts.
The photo is so beautiful ... and you are so creative! That's neat the way your came up with the name "Rosezilla". :o)
I also made the mistake of planting a hybrid rose too close to our front side walk and **opps** it got really BIG! I have to keep trimming it back. This spring I'll have to photograph it again and share it.
Happy One Year Blogaversary!
Sparky ♥ ∞

Anonymous said...

Ooooh winter in Florida sounds lovely and very beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my blog, it was very much appreciated and Happy Blogaversary too! :o)
Alicia xx

Anonymous said...

Happy Blog anniversary! I really glad you decided to start one because I have enjoyed reading it :>)

Anonymous said...

Happy Blog-o-versary Trace!! So glad to call you friend.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! Really... Blogging is definitely a wonderful and different experience.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Congratulations! I hope you have many more years of blogging (as long as you enjoy it, of course).

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you! It was so nice to read the background story to your blog. I'm so glad we've "met", and I hope you keep blogging for years to come :)

Technonana said...

Coming down at the end of January to enjoy some of that "Florida Winter"!!
My husband's company will be entertaining customers in Beautiful Hollywood, Florida, so I will be there to enjoy the weather!!
I love this 'illustration' in words!!
Sharon

Wanda said...

Well Congratulations indeed for a year in Blogland!

I know I have enjoyed your post, your stories and you comments on my posts.

I look forward to many more visits to you in 2009.

Love your son's comment about "Round UP" too cute!

LOL:Wanda

Merle said...

Dear Rosezilla ~~ So that's how you got your name!! The rose is lovely.
Happy Blogaversary ~ the year has gone quickly i'll bet.
Glad you liked my son's puppies. They were adorable, but were all sold. He did offer me one, but I find pets are a tie if you want to go somewhere, so I don't have any.
Glad you enjoy the jokes.
Isn't blogging the best thing - we meet some great people and soon care about them as friends.
Enjoy your next year, my friend.
Love, Merle.

Suzanne said...

Happy Blogoversary! I love your pink roses... pink roses are my favorite! Blogging is such a fun journey... I can't wait to see who and what I know when I reach my 1st year.
Be Blessed! ~Suzanne

Connie said...

Woohoo! Happy Blog-o-Versary To You!!! I love to visit!

rhymeswithplague said...

Let me join everyone else in wishing you a very happy blogaversary, four days late!

I like your description of winter in Florida. We lived in Boca Raton in Palm Beach County for six years, and I could never get over seeing ixora and pyracantha and hibiscus and oleander and bouganvillaea (sp?) in December and January and swimming in the ocean on New Year's Day knowing that in upstate New York it was frigid with six to eight feet of snow on the ground.

Tonight in north Georgia (where we now live) it may get down to 11 degrees. Brrrr-r-r-r!!!

Keep on bloggin'....

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hi Rosezilla, and congratulations on your first year of blogging. Don't you just love it! New communities of people are now communicating with each other and enjoying each other's photos and stories who never otherwise would have met.

I love your new bookcase too. Floor to ceiling, and full of books! I need one of those too. I've got the books to fill it.

Sara

Related Posts with Thumbnails