Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Don't Worry. It Doesn't Help.

I tend to be one of those people who doesn't worry about much. Now, don't get me wrong, I am very concientious and responsible. But I don't WORRY. I don't fret and stress, and I'm not afraid all the time. I figure we might as well LIVE until we die, otherwise we might as well be dead anyway. I do pray a lot, but then I tend to let God decide the outcome, and since I know He knows what He's doing, I don't have to try to "help" determine the outcome "my way."

But I don't want to be stupid either. I make sure the stove is turned off when I'm done cooking, lock the doors before I go to bed, and drive as safely as I can. And lately, now that my sons have moved on and I'm here alone a lot, I try to be a little more aware of things. Gardening is one of those things I have to be a little more careful about.

When I garden (or any thing else, for that matter) I tend to forget to pace myself. I just go full bore until I'm ready to drop. But besides being accident prone, I'm not as young as I was, and I've gotten myself in to some trouble doing that. The most recent and serious was heat stroke. I'd been mowing in the hottest part of a Florida summer day, and I began to feel chest pain. I stopped mowing and went in to drink water and cool off, but I couldn't get cool - instead I got nauseous and dizzy, progressing to violent vomiting. I have some health issues with medications that exacerbate the problem, so I was one sick puppy. I recovered, but it left an impression, not only on me but on my doctor and hubby! So now I have to take precautions - and I do! I watch the heat, wear a hat and sunglasses, stop to rest in the shade and drink water, and keep only one battery for the mower, so when it runs out, I'm done.

When I go out to garden, I've begun taking water, a chair, my cell phone, and lately, my keys. I got a scare from a vagrant one day, and I realized any one could go in to the house while I was out working in the garden and I would never know it until I was locked in there with them. So I try to take the proper precautions.

But you know, it's a fine line between proper precautions and living in fear. Today was a good example. I took all the many things out with me that I could possibly need to stay safe and healthy while weeding my plumbagos. But then I had the problem of what to do with them. In typical impulsive fashion, I didn't think it through. I just stuck the keys and cell phone in my shirt (you know, ladies, the ever present "purse" that resides there!). I gardened happily for quite a while, serene in the knowledge that I'd covered all the bases. Until I was nearing exhaustion and decided to finish up and go in. That's when I realized I didn't have my keys anymore. At some point gravity had played it's little prank, and they were gone! I am not known for staying calm in situations like that, but I did! I (calmly) walked around to all the places I'd been, looking (calmly) for the keys. I didn't find the keys, but I did give some thought to the thick piles of weeds I'd clutched to my bosom and then thrown over the cow pasture fence. But I didn't dwell on that thought. Finally I gave up and called my husband. About that time I suffered my ultimate humiliation as I realized I DID have pockets in these shorts after all! It was the OTHER shorts that didn't have pockets.

My husband called my son, who was closer, and who I couldn't call because I had never put his new number in my cell phone, and he came to rescue me. He not only let me back in my own house, but he even found the missing keys for me. Lying in plain site about 2 feet from where I was sitting in the shade in despair.

So what have I learned from this? That I'm a hopeless and impulsive clutz. But actually I already knew that, so what ELSE did I learn from this? I have no idea. On the one hand, being "safe" didn't work out so well, as it so often does not. (How many people shoot a loved one thinking they are a burglar, or are suffocated in their own air bag, or die in a fire because there were bars on their windows?). On the other hand, I was rather glad I had my cell phone with me. And my water, for that matter. So I basically learned I was right all along (don't you LOVE when that happens?); that I need to take precautions, but not worry too much. Pray, leave it in God's hands, and LIVE until I die. At which time I have a sneaking suspicion that the angels will be laughing so hard from whatever ridiculous way I end up dying that they won't even be able to greet me right away!

19 comments:

Connie said...

It is good when you can laugh at yourself a little. It all worked out in the end. I try to abide by the saying "Let Go and Let God" some days are better than others.
I come from a long line of worriers!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I've done things like this, planning so carefully that I plan myself right into a jam. I'm glad it all worked out. And you're so right. Worrying doesn't do anything to help at all.

Jenny said...

*chuckle* There's nothing worse than losing your keys ... and how funny that someone with a calm perspective comes along and sees in a few seconds what we, in our stressed-out mode, couldn't see even though it was right there! Great reminder to take deep breaths and let God work. Take care of yourself, luv. BTW I think my site problems are resolved ... would you check one more time and tell me what you see? Thanks doll!

Wanda said...

Great post and story, written so well.

I'm going to be teaching a Women's Bible Study in January on "Calm my Anxious Heart" The cure for worry.
One quote... Worry is like a rocking chair...It gives you something to do...but doesn't get you anywhere!!

Loved reading you story.

LOL:Wanda

Cherdecor said...

You were not the only one locked out of their house today. A neighbor a few houses up the street walked her dog this morning and didn't take the house key. In the meantime, her husband left for work and locked the house. When she got back, she couldn't get in. She tried to call her husband but he carries his phone in his backpack so he couldn't feel the vibration. She finally had to call a locksmith to help her.

His Child said...

Rosezilla, it was so nice of you to stop in at my place. I hope you will return real soon. I really enjoyed reading your comments and looking at your pictures. And yes, God is faithful, He knows all our desires, He bottles our tears, counts our hairs; He is intimately aquainted with all our ways. have a blessed weekend.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you got me laughing this morning! Not that I want to laugh at YOU, but you know what i mean. I needed a laugh.. I have an awful cold/flu - my throat is KILLING ME. has been for days. sorry i've been MIA. Hope all is well w/ you! STAY HEALTHY.

Natasha said...

Hi Rosezilla!
I've been following your blog awhile, and I've come to really love some of your escapades! I'd like to invite you to join us at www.womenetcetera.com, a website for women who believe in embracing transitions and changes as they come, and making the best of their lives. We talk, we share, we exchange tips, and have fun! You're welcome!
Natasha

Naturegirl said...

Well I suppose we all get to an age where we expereince the old "brain cramp" don't know can't remember where we left it!Happens to me all the time...use the rose clippers put them down and can't remember where they are...next day they are in the most likely spot back in it's rightful place and I put them there!!Scratching my head!
We'll have to invent an apron to house everything we need when in our gardens working...with various pockets for each tool we used.

Anonymous said...

Funny story!

I wish I could learn to not be a worrier. I've developed it to a fine art form, and it makes me mad that I'm that way. I keep trying to reform, without much sucess.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your post. I cannot tell you how many times I have left the keys in the back door and then went hunting for them for hours on in, but your right, in todays world it's better to be causious. Doing things like locking the door when your out in the yard is smart. Just don't leave them in the back door like me LOL

Lavinia said...

Refreshing post. You've covered the worry bases here. Funny anecdote, but it is a problem up here too, that when gardening, people are being advised to either stay within sight of their door, or lock the door while outside. Perhaps you could have a 'decoy' clay pot that you could stash your keys/whatever in. The trick I think is to always put things in the same place, that way you don't have to work to remember where anything is!

About the cell phone: Due to harmful magnetic rays that cell phones give off, they really should not be worn next to the body, either against the skin or in pockets. You might want to put that cellphone in the pot too...:).

Merle said...

Dear Rosezilla ~~ Great post and congrats about not being a worrier. I try very hard not to worry either and if
there is nothing I can do about a problem, it's a waste of time. Thank you for your nice comments about my post. Glad you liked the phone story, and the jokes, especially the blonde holding her brains in. Similar to your sister and her toast and jam. How awful to hit a bus, glad no one was hurt. Take care and be prepared and hang on to your keys.Love, Merle.

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

Thank you, Natasha, I'm pleased you enjoy my blog. I will check out the group, thank you for inviting me!I'm not yet 50 for a few years, though, does that matter?

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

A very wise, funny, and oh so true story...thank you! I can certainly relate to it (smile).

Also, I see I haven't been visiting here for quite a while so I have added you to my sidebar...

Thank you for your comments too.

I'll be back a little later to catch up on all these great posts. I'm looking forward to reading your Heart Song story.

Sara

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, about a thing, cos every little thing, is gonna be alright.
.
Bet you are singing that all day now! hehe
Brilliant post Trace! Funny, thoughtful and quite inspiring. x

Anonymous said...

What a terrific post, Tracie. I agree with you about praying. And I'm sure glad your son was nearby and could help you locate your keys :-)

Louise said...

I'm a born worrier, I worry about not being worried. I love the garden, but even worry about that on occasions! My patch really doesn't look that great a the moment. I must say though that the garden, once out there, I can spend the whole day with not a care in the world, and at times I even forget to prepare a meal for the evening too. Luckily we have a good selection of takeaways in our area! x

G said...

Wonderful post, Rosezilla... just what I needed today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails