Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Sestina is an Interesting Form of Poetry - Here's Mine

Girl Becomes a Woman - A Sestina

What makes me, a girl, into a woman?
Is it because I clean the house and cook,
And for beauty’s sake grow flowers in my garden?
Does it happen when I become a wife
To a man I cannot help but love?
Or not until he then makes me a mother?

I was but a girl living with my mother,
Dreaming of the day when I would be a woman.
Knowing only story book love;
Wanting just to eat but not to cook.
Leaving her to be my father’s wife,
While I sat, dreaming, in the garden.

Then my Prince came one day in to my garden;
Asked to take me from the home of my mother.
With solemn kiss and diamond ring, made me his wife.
I, the blushing bride, not yet a woman,
Learning how to clean and how to cook;
Learning most of all my own true love.

I welcomed my true love
Into my secret garden;
While delicious aromas fill the kitchen where I cook,
Delightful babies grow, filling their mother.
Girl turned bride grows up a happy woman,
Glowing with contentment of a happy wife.

My husband cherishes me, his wife,
And my trust grows together with his love.
Somewhere along the way I become a woman
Cultivated by my husband, his own garden
Bearing fruit, children I will mother,
Offspring nourished by the healthy food I cook.

So I clean and nurture, and I cook;
Bring my husband the blessings of a wife;
Raise my children in the nurture of a mother.
Surrounded by it, I produce more love
Growing rampant in my lovely garden.
Like the passion flower, I became a woman.

Feminine arts cook up a feast of love,
Inviting my husband into his wife’s garden.
Producing children, I’m a mother - I am a woman.



by Tracie Walker 6/2011
My next post will tell the form used to write this kind of poetry, and a bit of the history, so you can write your own if you like!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Beautiful, Tracie! I have a hunch I would be no good at writing one, but I'll look forward to hearing you tell about the history and process!

Merle said...

Dear Tracie ~~ Wonderful poem my friend. Very well done.
Thank you so much for your comments and I am glad you enjoyed the jokes
on my blog. Don't step on any oxygen tubes will you?
Take care, Love, Merle.

♥●• ─░zdiher •●♥ said...

This is so beautiful and cute :).

Hope you well and doing great .

Related Posts with Thumbnails